Friday, July 31, 2009

July 31, 2009

Man, what a week! It began last weekend when I did a 100km bike ride – yes, 100km in a row… I borrowed a road bike from my colleague. Healthy body, healthy brain right? Now my sunburned knuckles are healing and I am relieved to find that I am starting to regain sensation in the distribution area of my pudendal nerve…

I learned more about WISEST (Women in Scholarship, Engineering, Science and Technology) here at U of A, and I forgot to mention in my last blog that I had participated in their role model session for grade 11 students last week, which was a lot of fun. I enjoy meeting people at the early stages of their lives and careers, when they are full of hope and opportunities (the pre-pessimistic stage, ah those were the days…).

After clinic on Tuesday (which prompted me to revisit the whole statin myopathy issue), it was off to Vancouver on Wednesday – just in time for their record heat wave. My talk was very well received. Then I hung out in the hotel lobby working on my Heritage Grant before going for drinks with Jay Ingram and then entertaining the boards of directors at dinner by playing my violin (including some trick fiddling of course). Ah, the life of a researcher… You never know when those backup careers will come in handy…

The rest of the week has been filled with interviewing more lab tech candidates, both face to face and by phone. So far, so good (although I found out that some of them have been reading this blog!). Now I need to contact references. I also got more lab goodies – pipettes this time! Unfortunately, the fridge, freezer, CO2 incubator, and biosafety cabinet can’t make it here until our elevator servicing is finished (hopefully mid-August?).

Now it is time for the long weekend! I have decided to compromise the fact that I need to work on my grant but want to go to the mountains. I realize if I stay here and work all weekend, I will be very grumpy next week. So, it’s off to Calgary where I can work a bit, visit family and friends, and also make a day trip to hike in the mountains! It’s all about balance!

No comments:

Post a Comment