Thursday, July 16, 2009

April Fool's Day, 2009

I can’t help but reflect on the irony of beginning my life as a PrioNet grant recipient on April Fool’s Day. Perhaps it is only fitting, as one of my grant reviewers described me as “peculiarly brilliant”. I am sure I have been referred to as both peculiar and brilliant at times in the past, but never in the same sentence.

Nevertheless, here I am, the Mad Cow Girl herself, about to embark on my latest adventure. After two months of swimming through the paperwork of moving, buying a house, getting a new lab building up and running (a work still in progress), navigating an ever restructuring University and Capital Health system (now Alberta Health Services), I think I may actually get to do some research! Oh wait – it looks like there is more paperwork in store first…

One thing about grants I am finding, is that everyone wants original signatures on pieces of paper, which often involves couriering these pages across the country so we can all sign the same thing. It looks like they will accept individual pages this time, so that will make things a bit easier.

Time for a to do list…
Sign and submit grant forms (so I can actually have access to the grant money).
Figure out how to hire a technician (emails sent – more forms to fill out).
Order required software for research project.
Order basic lab supplies (pipettes, culture dishes).
Order basic lab reagents (media,etc).

And just as I get revved up about doing research, I have a week of neurology call starting tomorrow – my first in quite a while and my first ever here in Edmonton…

Oh – and now I have to give journal club on the 9th, the day after I finish call… That’s going to be a good session…

Well, I’ve unpacked the boxes I brought from home. So many notes…

My flashlight and ophthalmoscope batteries seem to be in good shape. I am uncertain how many books to drag around with me on call. I hear the number carried is inversely proportional to your experience…

No comments:

Post a Comment